Sunday, April 5, 2009

Why celebrate Passover?

I first became "aware" of Passover in about 1974.

I had grown up in a church which did not celebrate Communion so did not think a lot about its basis/fore-runner, Passover.

In 1972/1973 we lived in Harrogate in England. Just a couple of times we visited the city of Leeds. One afternoon I walked into a Convenience Store and there on display was some food with a sign saying "Kosher for Passover". It caught my eye - not the food (which is very surprising!!) but the sign. I obviously knew that Passover was mentioned in the Bible, but I really knew nothing about it - but was a little curious!

About 10 years later, back in Adelaide, the Pastor of our church suggested that we all celebrate Passover - as a church. (As it turned out it was a BIG group! - around 140 of us in the church Hall!) Franklin and I were very involved in helping research and prepare of the event, and it caught our imagination to the extent that we have repeated the exercise many times since, in our home. Each time we celebrate, we learn something new! The book that we used originally was "Celebrate the Feasts" (Zimmerman). It was about the only book available to us then, but it served us well. These days we could have a whole library + the www.

This little lamb is a centre-piece in our home during pre-Passover week. Whether we celebrate Passover or not, we bring out the little lamb to remind us of the Season, and the Reason for the Season! So I took this photo this morning...

For everything that was written in the past was written to teach us,

so that through endurance and encouragement of the Scriptures

we might have hope.

Romans 15:4

No comments:

Post a Comment